The 15th Frederic Chopin International Piano Competition will be held in Warsaw on September 23 – October 24, 2005. The competition is one of the oldest and most prestigious music competitions in the world. It belongs to a small group of piano competitions dedicated to the performance of music by just one composer.
The first Chopin Competition was initiated by Jerzy Zurawlew, an outstanding Polish pianist and teacher. It took place on 23-30 January 1927 in the hall of the Warsaw Philharmonic. The next two competitions occurred five years apart, in accordance with the rules of the organizers, up to the start of WWII.
The fourth competition, following the war, took place in the “Roma” concert hall at Nowogrodzka Street, which was the only surviving building capable of serving as a temporary hall for the Warsaw Philharmonic. The year was 1949, the hundredth anniversary of the death of the great composer, and the competition became a culmination of the Chopin’s Year. The next competition was held six years later, in 1955, in the rebuilt hall of the Warsaw Philharmonic, which was promoted to the rank of a national institution. Since 1955, the international competition has taken place in the halls of the National Philharmonic, every five years, without interruption.